Depending on how long you expect to live on earth, being independent at 35 is some juicy achievement.
What does young mean?
According to the dictionary young is having lived or existed for only a short time which also means youthful and Juvenile. Some, however, argue that age is just a number and the state of mind as discussed in the book highlighted below.
Being independent means a lot of things to a lot of people. It is defined as being “Free from outside control; not depending on another’s authority.” At this point, it would be great to pickup a pen and write down on the people, or anything at all that has control and authority over you (your boss, you parents, your partner, your teacher etc) , and imagine being free from it all, amazing isn’t it? .
Some common dependence habits are;
Living with Parents , Working a 9am to 5 pm Job, being on government benefits, counting on a student loan to finish school, squatting at a friend’s or relative, relying on your partner or spouse for your basic needs and financial handouts , driving a mortgaged or rental car and house, counting on donations to fund a project, relying on your pastor or church leader for your spiritual growth, and the list goes on .
The most sought after independence
The current dynamics in today’s world makes financial independence the most sought after form of independence. often times, when we are financially independent, we find that a lot of the external control and authority in our life fades away. One can be financially independent through an inheritance or by their own hard work. Financially independent people have valuable holdings(assets) ,commonly known as a passive income ,that yields income that can at least carter for their expenses, without having to work a job.
Pave your path to independence by doing all the things listed below.
- Perform a self evaluation of your current state of affairs(The stretch)
- Get clear on who you are and what you want out of life (Self reflection, Meditation)
- Set a Vision(the where you want to be by 35) , and mission(the how to achieve your vision) for your life
- Set a SMART(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound) goal for yourself
- Embrace habits that will be resourceful in achieving your goal and shake off the useless ones.
- Identify the people, skills, knowledge, resources, location, that will lead you to your goal, and AVOID anything or anyone that may distract or derail you.
- Finally put in the WORK. Everyone wants to become independent but most people don’t like the discomfort or sacrifices that come with it. We would rather stick to our comfort zones and expect things to fall into place, which unfortunately isn’t possible.
Each element from the list above will be broken down in our subsequent blog articles to provide all the help you need in order to live that healthy, peaceful, debt free, financially free, spiritually free, emotionally positive, and worry free life that we all crave for.
Watch the Video/Listen to the podcast below about becoming independent for more insights.
Financial freedomcan help you achieve your goals and live the life that you want.
“ Having enough money to make decisions and choices that you want to make”