In July 2021, I took a very uncomfortable action that led to the launch of the young and independent community. Prior to starting this movement, I was a very private person with little or no digital footprint. I have always been a private person, and being all over the internet was something I struggled with.
Despite my phobia for the internet, it became clear to me that it was the only vehicle that I needed to use to execute the mission that God had clearly put on my heart.
It was time to give back for everything that I had learned through my 30s, and my go-to place was home. After all, they say, charity begins at home, and the young and independent community was not going to be an exception to that timeless yet profound quote.
What’s the mission of the community?
The YAI’s primary goal is to raise the personal development and success bar for young Africans. Traditional beliefs about what success entails have misled far too many young people. They are told to go to school, get good grades, get a job, and work tirelessly to climb the corporate ladder. That method of operation is clearly out of date, and it is time to change the narrative.
What, then, is its vision?
Africans require knowledge as a potential power to advance in this highly competitive global era. That is why the mission of YAI is to actively seek current insights on various aspects of life and share that information with young Africans through various communication media, empowering them to engage in thoughtful leadership, career and business development, personal development, health and fitness, innovative education, and spiritual emancipation.
For one year and six months after its creation, the YAI project has grown into a strong community of young, dynamic, and ambitious Africans who are determined to change the narrative and rewrite the story of the continent. With only the knowledge, education, and mentorship they have received this past year, many have embarked on the path of entrepreneurship, changing their personal circumstances and their communities.
For 2023, the goals for the community are as follows:
- Lobby for more support for the young people who are willing to change their lives but require a few resources to
- Lobby sponsors who are passionate about the development of African youth to organise more workshops and create bigger opportunities for them.
- Donate basic equipment like good multimedia phones and computers to young people who are ready to take their entrepreneurial skills to the next level.
- Donate business and personal development books to young pupils in schools located in villages with limited access to the internet so that, just like Oprah Winfrey, they can be allowed to dream big and realise there’s a whole world to conquer that goes beyond their underdeveloped villages.
- Onboard new team members to spread the word, grow the community, and impact more lives.
Instead of continuously giving fish to those who are struggling financially, I reckon it is time to teach them how to catch their own fish.
China rose from a dumpster for wealthy nations like America and Britain to the number two world power not through handouts or benefits, but by becoming a producer and net exporter.
There’ll never be a perfect time for Africa to follow suit. The time is now, and this can only be achieved through a young and working population.
If our youth are busy with their personal development and productivity,
- The Canadian and American immigration schemes that aim to suck Africa dry of its working population will mean nothing to our youth.
- The amount of crime on our streets will significantly decrease as people focus on building their businesses.
- The immigration crisis that Europe is correctly experiencing will be history.
- The black race will gain respect, a voice, and a vote on the international stage.
- Future generations will have a higher standard of living and a more dignified existence.
I would like to thank Mr. Vobo Godlove and Mr. Esoka Mbong for their priceless support of the project from its inception.
The YAI project is open to collaborations and any type of support that will lead towards the achievement of its fundamental mission.