What is Self-Development.
Self-development is “the process by which a person’s character or abilities are gradually developed”( Oxford Dictionary). Meanwhile development, simply known as growth, is “the process of developing or being developed”.
What is Responsibility?.
Responsibility can be defined as “the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone: a true leader takes responsibility for their team and helps them achieve goals” (Oxford Dictionary).
Why is Self-Development Important.
“Self development will take you from rags to riches”, (Brian Tracy).
Your self development is a crucial aspect of your personal growth and progression. As a woman who has dedicated her life and time to the wellbeing of her husband and kids, you most certainly would have experienced moments when you felt overwhelmed and wondered what your life would have been otherwise. Below are some of the reasons why it is important to prioritise your self development;
- The only limit to what you can accomplish is determined by yourself.
- It is a continuous learning process
- It enables you to evaluate your strength and weaknesses
- It will improve your mental health
- It will improve your relationship with yourself and others
- It builds your confidence as your acquire knowledge
- It exposes you to a wealth of knowledge and people from all walks of life .
- It sets you on a new life path
- It affords you psychological transformation too
- It improves your self esteem and self-acceptance.
As a young man or woman, i daresay that you can at least recount a circumstance where you felt inferior or undermined as a result of your lack of knowledge in a particular domain, your educational qualification, your job status, your marital status, your neighborhood, the home you live in, the car you drive or don’t drive, the clothes you wear, and the list goes on…
How to Achieve Self-Developement
It is absolutely crucial for you to set your self development as a priority, because it is often linked to self-awareness. You can embark on the journey of self development and make great strides by doing simple things like;
- Reading books( there are a number of free resources on the internet)
- Rolling out a new health discipline (dieting etc)
- Enrolling on both professional and self development courses ( a lot of free resources online )
- Making a conscious decision to try out new things. Take risks and consider your failures as feedbacks. The more you do it, the more you’ll get better at it.
- Seeking guidance from experts in related fields, friends and family who are knowledgeable on the subject matter.
- Building a clear vision and mission statement for your life .
- Setting clear goals, evaluating your weaknesses in order to best manage them, whilst leveraging your strengths.
- Choosing a mentor and following their guidance.
- Be Mindful of your reference group(The people you habitually associate yourself with). Don’t you forget the saying “show me your friends and i shall tell you who you are”, or The bible verse “Bad Company corrupts good character”. Depending on what you want to become, be mindful of who you hand around with. Misery loves company.